A cappella is as popular as ever, and who knows that better than Deke Sharon. He is the vocal producer for the a cappella competition TV show “The Sing-Off.” He also directed the live “Sing-Off” show which is currently touring the country.
Sharon is also the musical producer of “Pitch Perfect” and the upcoming “Pitch Perfect 2, ” which star Anna Kendrick and center around college a cappella groups.
As Deke Sharon told s Robin Young, movie musicals and a cappella have experienced a renaissance because “so much in music now has become mechanized, there’s almost robotic tuning and lots of synthesizers, ” so people respond to “the human voice and the connection that people feel when they hear someone singing from the heart.”
Songs In This Segment
- Jessica Cornish, Lukasz Gottwald, Claude Kelly, Bobby Ray Simmons, Jr., “Bellas Finals: Price Tag” performed by The Barden Bellas (From the “Pitch Perfect” soundtrack)
- Daft Punk, “Daft Punk” performed by Pentatonix
- Ryan Tedder, Brent Kutzle, Drew Brown, Zach Filkins, Eddie Fisher, “Love Runs Out” performed by the Exchange
- Hozier, “Take Me to Church” performed by The Melodores
- Ed Sheeran, “Don’t” performed by Voiceplay and Street Corner Symphony
- A. P. Carter, Luisa Gerstein, “Cups” performed by Anna Kendrick (From the “Pitch Perfect” soundtrack)
- Bruno Mars, Philip Lawrence, Ari Levine, Khalil Walton, Khari Cain Bruno Mars ‘Pool Mashup: Just the Way You Are/Just a Dream” performed by The Barden Bellas (From the “Pitch Perfect” soundtrack)
- Cole Porter, “We Open in Venice” performed by Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Sammy Davis Jr.